The Economic Stimulus Payment Schedule As Announced By The IRS

Published 3/18/08 (Modified 3/8/11)

After much online speculation and rampant rumors about the economic stimulus payment date, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has finally cleared up the confusion and released the official economic stimulus tax rebate payment schedule. You can read the IRS timetable announcement on its website (view IRS news release).

The IRS has announced that it will begin sending more than 130 million economic stimulus tax rebate payments starting May 2, 2008. Those who chose to receive their 2007 tax refund payments via direct deposit will get priority in receiving their stimulus tax rebates. Those who chose to receive their tax refund payments via regular postal service will receive their tax rebate checks in mid May, after the initial wave of tax rebate payments have been sent to those who chose the quicker direct deposit option.

Tax Rebate Receiving Order Will be Based On Social Security Number

The order that the tax rebate checks will be sent out will be according to the last 2 digits of the Social Security Number (SSN) used when you filed your federal tax return. Please examine the stimulus payment chart below to determine when you will be receiving your tax rebate. As the IRS noted on its announcement, because the order will be based on the numerical order of Social Security Numbers rather than by name or household, there is a high possibility that neighbors, family members, and friends may not receive their tax rebate checks at the same time.

The Official Economic Stimulus Tax Rebate Payment Schedule - (for Federal Tax Returns Received and Processed by April 15, 2008):

Direct Deposit Option:
If the last two digits of your Social Security Number are: Your economic stimulus payment deposit should be sent to your bank account by:
00 - 20 May 2
21 - 75 May 9
76 - 99 May 16
Paper Check Option:
If the last two digits of your Social Security Number are: Your check should be in the mail by:
00 - 09 May 16
10 - 18 May 23
19 - 25 May 30
26 - 38 June 6
39 - 51 June 13
52 - 63 June 20
64 - 75 June 27
76 - 87 July 4
88 - 99 July 11

How To Make Sure You Get Your Tax Rebate Check

If you want to get your tax rebate check sooner, you should make sure to elect the direct deposit option if you haven't already done so. Secondly, you should make sure you file your 2007 federal tax return by the April 15, 2008 deadline. If for whatever reason your tax return is filed after April 15, you should receive your economic stimulus payment about two weeks after receiving your tax refund. For those requesting filing extensions, if you want to receive your tax rebate by the end of this year, you must file your tax return by October 15, 2008. To accommodate people whose tax returns are processed after April 15, the IRS has indicated that it will continue sending weekly payments even after the end of the above schedule.

As I indicated in my 2008 Tax Stimulus Rebate commentary article, if you are already in bankruptcy or have tax liens for delinquent or outstanding debts such as - unpaid student loans, child support, or tax obligations, all or part of your economic stimulus payment may be withheld or intercepted. The IRS has indicated that it will send a letter to the taxpayer explaining the tax rebate offset, if any.

How Much Will My Economic Stimulus Payment Check Be?

Explanations and detailed answers to your tax rebate questions can be obtained by viewing the official IRS publications and announcements on the matter. Here are some links to official IRS answers to tax rebate questions, where most of the commonly asked questions are addressed. The more complicated and issue-filled tax rebate questions relating to Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy filings have been winding up as comments on my tax rebate article. I will continue answering them to the best of my ability based on my legal experience and knowledge on the matter. However, while my comments may be construed as general background information, they should not be blindly followed as definitive legal advice. Remember to always perform your own due diligence and research.

186 Responses to “The Economic Stimulus Payment Schedule As Announced By The IRS”

1. ronda weber says:

my husband and i filed our taxes through h&r block, and received a paper check from them through rapid refund. will our tax rebate check be sent direct deposit to h&r block's bank and then them issue us a check, or will it be sent snail mail to us directly?

2. david says:

I filed as head of household and made about 85000. Is the 75K threshold different if you have a dependent, in my case my mother who is a quadriplegic whom I care for in my home?

3. Samantha says:

My fiance & I both filed our taxes real early and he clamed head of household and our daughter. We got our refunds direct deposited and all that. My question is...I got a Rebate notice from the IRS explaining about the rebate process and all that but my Fiance did not. Will he still get his for our daughter and himself? Do they mail those to everyone?? Why didnt he get a notice in the mail?

4. Michael says:

Hi I have a question, my taxes this year were filed through e-file but my refund was distributed on a prepaid H&R Block Mastercard, will my rebate come through on this direct deposit card in which I received my 2007 returns on?

THanks

5. Diana says:

Is it true that some people will get their refunds as soon as Monday, April 28, 2008.

6. Linda says:

Hello~

I filed my taxes in Jan. I choose paper check for my Federal and Direct Deposit for my state. Will they use the information from my state return for the rebate?
    Also, if not I have moved since I filed my taxes, will they forward my rebate check?

7. Stephanie says:

If you not derct depoit your you incme tax you will not get it as fast Is there anyway to inter so this will go dirct depoit

8. brie says:

I was curious of this situation. I had my refund deposited into 2 accounts. The IRS says that if you did direct deposit into serval accounts, your check will be mailed. I don't think 2 accounts is several. Any information would be great!

9. ifleming says:

I was supposed to receive my federal refund thru direct deposit. However, the issuing bank sent a check. The state refund was directly deposited. How will I receive my refund?

10. Maria says:

I just read that the economic stimulus tax rebate is counted as a tax credit against your future 2008 tax bill. How will that work? It seems that I will be owing more taxes at the end of this year. Please explain to me how will that work for next year's tax? Do I need to start putting money aside just in case? It seems that this economic stimulus is nothing more than another government scam.

11. Maria says:

12. Julie says:

If my husband and I filed jointly who's social security number do they go by to receive the rebate via direct deposit?

13. Julie says:

If I wasn't clear, I meant my husband's last two digits are higher than mine and we filed jointly how do they determine which number to go by the lowest of highest?

14. Jackie Sutherland says:

When i filed my return i used h and r block to do my taxes, and it was put on their prepaid mastercard...now will i get my check through that or the mail?

15. Diane says:

We filed solely for stimulus rebate.On disibility.Went direct deposit.Ok heres the deal.Our ss# is the first of batch 00-20.My bank shows no deposit yet.Does anyone know why this is.

16. Cheryl says:

We filed through HR Block but opted to receive the same day "loan" from them. I was wondering if that meant we would be receiving a paper check.

17. tim says:

how long does it take to recieve it after its been mailed?

18. Kerri says:

I closed my account that my direct deposit was made in. I know that it will come snail mail. My question is when my bank refuses it will, it be immediatley sent out that day. Or will I have to wait for the paper check timetable. Direct deposit says May 9th, paper check says June 6st.

19. Beth says:

Hi, My husband and I filed a joint return, and also an injured spouse form... Which he qualified for. So my question is, I owe a minimal amount of back child support, and the stimulus payment that we should receive is much more then the debt. Will we still receive the unused amount or will they keep all of it? And secondly, does this delay the stimulus rebate in anyway, like it does your tax return? thank you for your time!

20. lavonda says:

i was curious everyone has recieved a letter from the IRS stating that they would be getting a stimulus check. I on the other hand filed an income tax rfeturn for 2007 and have yet to recieve something is there anyway i can find out if i am to recieve one