The Economic Stimulus Payment Schedule As Announced By The IRS

Published 3/18/08 (Modified 3/8/11)

After much online speculation and rampant rumors about the economic stimulus payment date, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has finally cleared up the confusion and released the official economic stimulus tax rebate payment schedule. You can read the IRS timetable announcement on its website (view IRS news release).

The IRS has announced that it will begin sending more than 130 million economic stimulus tax rebate payments starting May 2, 2008. Those who chose to receive their 2007 tax refund payments via direct deposit will get priority in receiving their stimulus tax rebates. Those who chose to receive their tax refund payments via regular postal service will receive their tax rebate checks in mid May, after the initial wave of tax rebate payments have been sent to those who chose the quicker direct deposit option.

Tax Rebate Receiving Order Will be Based On Social Security Number

The order that the tax rebate checks will be sent out will be according to the last 2 digits of the Social Security Number (SSN) used when you filed your federal tax return. Please examine the stimulus payment chart below to determine when you will be receiving your tax rebate. As the IRS noted on its announcement, because the order will be based on the numerical order of Social Security Numbers rather than by name or household, there is a high possibility that neighbors, family members, and friends may not receive their tax rebate checks at the same time.

The Official Economic Stimulus Tax Rebate Payment Schedule - (for Federal Tax Returns Received and Processed by April 15, 2008):

Direct Deposit Option:
If the last two digits of your Social Security Number are: Your economic stimulus payment deposit should be sent to your bank account by:
00 - 20 May 2
21 - 75 May 9
76 - 99 May 16
Paper Check Option:
If the last two digits of your Social Security Number are: Your check should be in the mail by:
00 - 09 May 16
10 - 18 May 23
19 - 25 May 30
26 - 38 June 6
39 - 51 June 13
52 - 63 June 20
64 - 75 June 27
76 - 87 July 4
88 - 99 July 11

How To Make Sure You Get Your Tax Rebate Check

If you want to get your tax rebate check sooner, you should make sure to elect the direct deposit option if you haven't already done so. Secondly, you should make sure you file your 2007 federal tax return by the April 15, 2008 deadline. If for whatever reason your tax return is filed after April 15, you should receive your economic stimulus payment about two weeks after receiving your tax refund. For those requesting filing extensions, if you want to receive your tax rebate by the end of this year, you must file your tax return by October 15, 2008. To accommodate people whose tax returns are processed after April 15, the IRS has indicated that it will continue sending weekly payments even after the end of the above schedule.

As I indicated in my 2008 Tax Stimulus Rebate commentary article, if you are already in bankruptcy or have tax liens for delinquent or outstanding debts such as - unpaid student loans, child support, or tax obligations, all or part of your economic stimulus payment may be withheld or intercepted. The IRS has indicated that it will send a letter to the taxpayer explaining the tax rebate offset, if any.

How Much Will My Economic Stimulus Payment Check Be?

Explanations and detailed answers to your tax rebate questions can be obtained by viewing the official IRS publications and announcements on the matter. Here are some links to official IRS answers to tax rebate questions, where most of the commonly asked questions are addressed. The more complicated and issue-filled tax rebate questions relating to Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy filings have been winding up as comments on my tax rebate article. I will continue answering them to the best of my ability based on my legal experience and knowledge on the matter. However, while my comments may be construed as general background information, they should not be blindly followed as definitive legal advice. Remember to always perform your own due diligence and research.

186 Responses to “The Economic Stimulus Payment Schedule As Announced By The IRS”

1. kerry says:

My son's father owes quite a bit of money in back child support...his father is on SSDI - will my son be eligible for his stimulus ck>?

2. Neely says:

We have not yet recieved our economic stimulus check. We meet all criteria but are concerned that the money will be applied to the quarterly estimated taxes that we just began paying when we sent in our return due to changing to self-employment in 2008. Does this affect our stimulus check?

3. Barb says:

According to the schedule using my ssn my check should have been sent 5/23 but still haven't gotten it? Do I need to be concerned and who can I check with as to where it is?

4. Sean says:

I have NOT yet received my stimilus payment, but I should have received this via direct deposit by 5/9, according to the information above. Any ideas as to why I might not have received payment yet? Is there someone I can contact? Perhaps a website you could direct those of us to whom have not gotten payemnt yet? Thank you so much for your inisght...

5. Michelle says:

I'm a little worried I'm not getting my stimulus payment. I'm 17, I work and my mother filled my taxes seperate from hers since I have my own job and get SS from my father passing away and pay my own insurance with that money. But I had my tax returns direct deposited into my bank account, shouldn't my payment been direct deposited then also? That's why I'm guessing I'm not getting it because I should have gotten in back in May. I received a form to fill out from the IRS but my mom said I did not need to fill it out since I already did my taxes. I think she may have been wrong. Can anyone help me figure out what's going on?

6. Mai says:

I was suppose to recive my economic stimulus check on june 13 and i havent gotten anything yet i still live with my parents and am still a dependent on them but i did file my won taxes cause i worked do i still get a chekc even though im considered a dependent on my parents

7. Regina says:

We had our taxes done at H & R Block and they took their fees out of our return and the rest was direct deposited. When should we expect our check? The last two digits are 97. Should we expect it by July 11th

8. Wanda says:

I have rec'd our check, but I believe its not going to help get things back on track or help the economy. It was too late and all the damage is done! I have read so many people without and loss their homes. They need to stop and think what can we do to bring back happiness, What can this country do to help the people here in USA? Greed has taken over. How do we stop it!!! Do we march for freedom again. Do the people stand up and fight what is right! I don't think God want this for mankind!

9. David Wood says:

The last two digits of my ssn are 57, therefore, my paper check was supposed to go out June 20. It is now June 30, and I have not received it yet, should I be concerned??

10. Matt says:

So is the IRS behind schedule because my two digits are 38 and I have not recieved yet? I did recieve the original notice in the mail several months ago...does that mean I am for sure getting a stimulus check?

11. Marie says:

I owe the state money from a delienquent student loan. I was once given a phone number that I could call and punch in my ssn and it would tell me if they would be taking my refund. Does anyone know how I can retrieve this number? Thanks!

12. Adrianna says:

I filed my taxes for 2007,on time. The IRS kept both my refunds Federal and State checks. I recieved a notice from the IRS stating that I should received $600.00. On July 5. Would I still get the check or would they keep it ?

13. David Wood says:

Why is Raymond no longer answering our questions??

I'm sorry guys that I haven't been answering questions relating to the tax stimulus rebate...I get so many rebate related questions the inundation has been overwhelming. I do try to answer questions that get emailed to me, but it's quite time consuming. I was hoping this forum could help answer its own questions to the best of its ability.

15. mark says:

i have yet to receive my check the last 2 numbers of my ss are 74. shouldnt i have received my check by now?

16. Tonya says:

My ex husband received a letter from the IRS stating that his stimulus was being intercepted due to unpaid child support but it would have been sent out by July 11 and it is now July 30 and still no money. Do you know when I should be expecting it?

17. Melissa says:

I was curious, I have been seeing on the news and other places that congress is discussing giving us a 2nd economic stimulus payment in November 2008. Is this true? Has anyone heard about this?

18. jeff says:

i have got my stimulus check but i was watching the news and i was just wondering if they was going to send out a secondary stimulus check

19. Stephanie says:

People keep telling me that i need to call about getting my second stimulus payment before Oct. 2008. If i want to get my 2nd rebate check. Is this true????

20. Rochelle says:

Does anyone know who i need to contact to find out why I the IRS didn't intercept my ex's stimulous check? I have called the Attorney General here in TX and all they can say is "we don't have any answers". At first I was upset because the IRS failed to intercept his income tax even though his name is listed on the back child support list to have finds withheld. Now I find out he was also awarded his stimulous check.. He owes more then 5k. If anyone knows who I need to call other then the Attorney General, please reply!