The Economic Stimulus Payment Schedule As Announced By The IRS

Published 3/18/08 (Modified 3/8/11)

After much online speculation and rampant rumors about the economic stimulus payment date, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has finally cleared up the confusion and released the official economic stimulus tax rebate payment schedule. You can read the IRS timetable announcement on its website (view IRS news release).

The IRS has announced that it will begin sending more than 130 million economic stimulus tax rebate payments starting May 2, 2008. Those who chose to receive their 2007 tax refund payments via direct deposit will get priority in receiving their stimulus tax rebates. Those who chose to receive their tax refund payments via regular postal service will receive their tax rebate checks in mid May, after the initial wave of tax rebate payments have been sent to those who chose the quicker direct deposit option.

Tax Rebate Receiving Order Will be Based On Social Security Number

The order that the tax rebate checks will be sent out will be according to the last 2 digits of the Social Security Number (SSN) used when you filed your federal tax return. Please examine the stimulus payment chart below to determine when you will be receiving your tax rebate. As the IRS noted on its announcement, because the order will be based on the numerical order of Social Security Numbers rather than by name or household, there is a high possibility that neighbors, family members, and friends may not receive their tax rebate checks at the same time.

The Official Economic Stimulus Tax Rebate Payment Schedule - (for Federal Tax Returns Received and Processed by April 15, 2008):

Direct Deposit Option:
If the last two digits of your Social Security Number are: Your economic stimulus payment deposit should be sent to your bank account by:
00 - 20 May 2
21 - 75 May 9
76 - 99 May 16
Paper Check Option:
If the last two digits of your Social Security Number are: Your check should be in the mail by:
00 - 09 May 16
10 - 18 May 23
19 - 25 May 30
26 - 38 June 6
39 - 51 June 13
52 - 63 June 20
64 - 75 June 27
76 - 87 July 4
88 - 99 July 11

How To Make Sure You Get Your Tax Rebate Check

If you want to get your tax rebate check sooner, you should make sure to elect the direct deposit option if you haven't already done so. Secondly, you should make sure you file your 2007 federal tax return by the April 15, 2008 deadline. If for whatever reason your tax return is filed after April 15, you should receive your economic stimulus payment about two weeks after receiving your tax refund. For those requesting filing extensions, if you want to receive your tax rebate by the end of this year, you must file your tax return by October 15, 2008. To accommodate people whose tax returns are processed after April 15, the IRS has indicated that it will continue sending weekly payments even after the end of the above schedule.

As I indicated in my 2008 Tax Stimulus Rebate commentary article, if you are already in bankruptcy or have tax liens for delinquent or outstanding debts such as - unpaid student loans, child support, or tax obligations, all or part of your economic stimulus payment may be withheld or intercepted. The IRS has indicated that it will send a letter to the taxpayer explaining the tax rebate offset, if any.

How Much Will My Economic Stimulus Payment Check Be?

Explanations and detailed answers to your tax rebate questions can be obtained by viewing the official IRS publications and announcements on the matter. Here are some links to official IRS answers to tax rebate questions, where most of the commonly asked questions are addressed. The more complicated and issue-filled tax rebate questions relating to Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy filings have been winding up as comments on my tax rebate article. I will continue answering them to the best of my ability based on my legal experience and knowledge on the matter. However, while my comments may be construed as general background information, they should not be blindly followed as definitive legal advice. Remember to always perform your own due diligence and research.

186 Responses to “The Economic Stimulus Payment Schedule As Announced By The IRS”

1. Tammie says:

THANK YOU BETH!
    I was hoping that was the cast i have a open child support case and have not recived anything since dec and that was only $200 my lovley ex started working under the table so he would not have to pay! How do you find out when you will recive these types of payement intercepts?

2. Rebekah says:

We filed jointly, my husband and I, back in January, and everything was accepted and we chose direct deposit, nothing has changed, our pay date for the stimulus pay was may 9th, but we have not received it, we owe nothing so I dont understand why we haven't received it yet.

3. rosenary says:

I e-filed my taxes through turbo tax but i gave wrong bank account number.I called the bank and changed my account number and recieved my refund direct deposit .will it effect my goverment stinukus payment schedule or should i have called the irs and changed my account number.

4. rosenary says:

sorry i corrected my account number.

5. Marcelo says:

have a question. I am a legal immigrant and have a SSN, but my wife and children only have Tax numbers (ITIN) and they are included in the Tax return I already filed. Can I somehow receive the Stimulus Payment since I have a way to prove I am in the US legally? They are also here legally.

I would appreciate any prompt reply.

Thanks,

Marcelo

6. Lynn says:

We never got anything saying we were even getting a check. People I work with got something in the mail and so did my mom and we never got anything. According to the mailing....we should have been direct depoisted our money May 9th and we havent seen anything. Do I need to be worried

7. Stephanie says:

Hi,
    Confusing story bare with me. My daughters' father fraudulently claimed myself and our daughter on his taxes this year, he received his tax return and does qualify for the stimulus check. I filed my taxes as normal with fraudulent paperwork against him. I do not qualify for the stimulus check. He owes back child support from the time he filed his taxes, unsure exactly how much he owes. Will his stimulus check be intercepted for the back child support he owes?

8. Krystle says:

Me and my hubby did not recieve a notification about the refund. will we still get that refund. we did file our 2007 taxes. Please let me know.

9. Jennifer says:

We should have recieved our direct deposit May 9th, and still nothing, today is the 13th and we fall in the first group of numbers. we went through Turbo tax and paid for our taxes prepration out of our refund. also when i call or go on website to see if it's been posted or mail- there is absoutly nothing. it says sorry we are unable to give info at this time. Does anybody have any ANSWERS???

10. anitra says:

i am expecting a paper check. SSN ends in 16. I checked irs "where's my stim check" the morning of 5/13 and all my info was there. exactly how much i'd get, when it would be sent, etc. i checked later that day and nothing, you know, the sorry but no specific information is available. what gives? By the way the rebate hotline provides me with the update info-how much, when, look for my letter in the mail, etc.

11. Wanda says:

Like Jennifer above, except we should have rec'd ours on May 2, 2008. We also called IRS and type in our information on the IRS Website, no information given. Also we rec'd letter of Notice from the IRS in Feb stating we will rec'd our Money in May. NOTHING REC'D.

12. Jennifer says:

Let me know Wanda if you hear anything. i keep calling and going on the website. Either way i will keep you posted if i get or hear anything.

13. larry says:

Since i overpaid last yearon my taxes i left the rest of the money instead of taking my refund, how will this eeffect my stimulus refund? will it be sent by paper?

14. Robin says:

I just found out they are mailing my check rather than direct deposit. I filed with H & R Block and had direct deposit. Why are they mailing it? filed as head of household with 2. Anyone know why?

15. ann says:

Hello, if you moved and left a forwarding address with the post office would they forward my stimulus check? i haven't notified the irs yet but I will today and my check is due today. If it is returned would they send it to my new address? Thanks for help

16. Mark says:

In response to Jennifer's initial posting (May 13), I too couldn't figure out why our stimulus refund had not been sent electronically, in my case, May 9th. I too used Turbo Tax. I went onto Turbo Tax's website this morning and discovered that, if you used Santa Barbara Bank & Trust and had the tax prep fees deducted directly out of your return, you will be receiving a paper check instead. See http://turbotax.intuit.com/support/kb/tax-content/tax-tips/6255.html for more info.

17. Andrea says:

It says that I was supposed to receive my check by May 9th and I have yet to receive it. I submitted my takes prior to April 15th and did direct deposit. I alos meet all the requirements....income...single...no kids. Can you help?
    Thanks,
    Andrea

18. Wanda says:

It look if we are helping each other out on this IRS website. In response to Jennifer's and Mark. Its true if you had fee's taken out of your federal Tax due to someone else did them for you like H&R Block or other... You Will Rec'd a Check... Althought you did direct deposit. You will get a check. Its written online in the IRS Center. Good Luck everyone! AND GOD BLESS the People of USA.

19. Diana says:

Andrea
    There is a page on the IRS site that is called where is my refund. I too am single, no children and had income, but was told that my income is not qualifying income. I received penison and unemployment and had to pay tax on them but the income is not considered qualifying income. The site tells me I am not eligable for a refund.

20. Laura says:

We had our income tax refund direct deposited and have already received it. However, for some reason our stimulus check is being mailed and not direct deposited. Do you know why they wouldn't have direct deposited it? I had also heard that if you had the filing fees deducted from your refund, they couldn't direct deposit the stimulus check, is that true?