The Economic Stimulus Payment Schedule As Announced By The IRS

Published 3/18/08 (Modified 3/8/11)

After much online speculation and rampant rumors about the economic stimulus payment date, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has finally cleared up the confusion and released the official economic stimulus tax rebate payment schedule. You can read the IRS timetable announcement on its website (view IRS news release).

The IRS has announced that it will begin sending more than 130 million economic stimulus tax rebate payments starting May 2, 2008. Those who chose to receive their 2007 tax refund payments via direct deposit will get priority in receiving their stimulus tax rebates. Those who chose to receive their tax refund payments via regular postal service will receive their tax rebate checks in mid May, after the initial wave of tax rebate payments have been sent to those who chose the quicker direct deposit option.

Tax Rebate Receiving Order Will be Based On Social Security Number

The order that the tax rebate checks will be sent out will be according to the last 2 digits of the Social Security Number (SSN) used when you filed your federal tax return. Please examine the stimulus payment chart below to determine when you will be receiving your tax rebate. As the IRS noted on its announcement, because the order will be based on the numerical order of Social Security Numbers rather than by name or household, there is a high possibility that neighbors, family members, and friends may not receive their tax rebate checks at the same time.

The Official Economic Stimulus Tax Rebate Payment Schedule - (for Federal Tax Returns Received and Processed by April 15, 2008):

Direct Deposit Option:
If the last two digits of your Social Security Number are: Your economic stimulus payment deposit should be sent to your bank account by:
00 - 20 May 2
21 - 75 May 9
76 - 99 May 16
Paper Check Option:
If the last two digits of your Social Security Number are: Your check should be in the mail by:
00 - 09 May 16
10 - 18 May 23
19 - 25 May 30
26 - 38 June 6
39 - 51 June 13
52 - 63 June 20
64 - 75 June 27
76 - 87 July 4
88 - 99 July 11

How To Make Sure You Get Your Tax Rebate Check

If you want to get your tax rebate check sooner, you should make sure to elect the direct deposit option if you haven't already done so. Secondly, you should make sure you file your 2007 federal tax return by the April 15, 2008 deadline. If for whatever reason your tax return is filed after April 15, you should receive your economic stimulus payment about two weeks after receiving your tax refund. For those requesting filing extensions, if you want to receive your tax rebate by the end of this year, you must file your tax return by October 15, 2008. To accommodate people whose tax returns are processed after April 15, the IRS has indicated that it will continue sending weekly payments even after the end of the above schedule.

As I indicated in my 2008 Tax Stimulus Rebate commentary article, if you are already in bankruptcy or have tax liens for delinquent or outstanding debts such as - unpaid student loans, child support, or tax obligations, all or part of your economic stimulus payment may be withheld or intercepted. The IRS has indicated that it will send a letter to the taxpayer explaining the tax rebate offset, if any.

How Much Will My Economic Stimulus Payment Check Be?

Explanations and detailed answers to your tax rebate questions can be obtained by viewing the official IRS publications and announcements on the matter. Here are some links to official IRS answers to tax rebate questions, where most of the commonly asked questions are addressed. The more complicated and issue-filled tax rebate questions relating to Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy filings have been winding up as comments on my tax rebate article. I will continue answering them to the best of my ability based on my legal experience and knowledge on the matter. However, while my comments may be construed as general background information, they should not be blindly followed as definitive legal advice. Remember to always perform your own due diligence and research.

186 Responses to “The Economic Stimulus Payment Schedule As Announced By The IRS”

1. Diane says:

I filed solely for stimulus rebate.Live on disibility.Should of got direct deposit.last 2 ss were the first ones being sent.Anyone know why its still not in there.

2. Samantha says:

Hey everyone they finally got the Wheres my Rebate/stimulus thing up and going on www.irs.gov you go to Rebate Payment questions and down under Payments start after other stuff it will say "Where's My stimulus Payment?" It will take you to another short page, read it then click on the underlined Wheres my stimulus payment and follow directions. Make sure you have tax forms with you if you are unsure how to do the 3 steps. Have a great day everyone! By the way, it wouldnt give me a date for mine, but it did my Fiance's so IDK whats up with that but I think you need to be closer to the time your's is scheduled to see so we will see what happens. Good luck!

3. gabriel says:

can i get my check on a h and r block prepaided card that was givin to me from filing taxes,would that be a direct deposit?

4. Jessica says:

I filed my taxes in February, using HR Block and received my refund via the direct deposit HR Block Prepaid Emerald Mastercard. My preparer at HR says I will not receive my stimulus refund via direct deposit on my card because it is not recognized my the IRS as a direct deposit account. Please let me know why this is if it is true. Also, after filing we have come into money problems and are really looking forward to this money. My last SSN are 26 and the paper check is scheduled to be mailed by June 6....how long will it take to reach me in the mail?
    Please let me know...
    Thanks

5. Jessica says:

I have not received a notice in the mail regarding the stimulus and everyone else I know has. According to the IRS website I do should receive the payment...why havent i received notice?

6. Diane says:

What if your ss benefits are less than 3000 and also get ssi?Why cant ssi be added with your benefits.Looks like some are going to be left out.The poorest of the poor.

7. Samantha says:

Don't fret Jessica, my fiancee didnt get a notice either and he got his stimulus payment direct deposited this morning (well late last night it showed up in the account)

8. steve says:

I have a question also. received my payment direct deposit today. does anyone know if both spouses have to make above $3,000 to qualify for the $1200? My wife does not work, but we file jointly. My understanding is that as long as you file jointly and meet all the income requirements, we should get $1200. So, my question is; do we both have to make above $3,000 in 2007 to be eligible?

9. daniel says:

i have direct deposit and the last two numbers of my ss are 11. Why havnt i recieved any money in my account yet?

10. Jessica says:

daniel...im no expert, but i have spoken to several people who have received their direct deposit and many recieved them late at night, so dont worry yet, they still have some time.

11. Donna says:

I received over $17,000 unemployment because I am a dislocated worker going to school. I am not getting a rebate because my unemployment does not qualitfy me for the rebate, but I had to pay taxes on the unemployment. That isn't fair to me.

12. Scott says:

I filed my taxes via turbo tax with rapid refund in February, got my refund and the last 2 digits of my ss# are 03. I did not recieve my stimulus payment yesterday. DOes this mean there is a problem and if so who should I contact?

13. Lynn says:

I used H&R Block to file my taxes in early February. I got my refund by direct deposit, but I had the H&R Block fees taken out of my refund. I can't find a definative answer anywhere about how or when I will be receiving my stimulous payment. Any ideas?

14. Diana says:

Some people looking for rebates are not going to get them. Not everyone is getting the rebate the way we were lead to believe. There are so many stipulations.

15. Wanda says:

We thought our money of 1200 would be in our acct, we did direct deposit on our taxes and filed early in Feb 2008, its not showing today either 5/4. I don't know why when our ssn end with 14. I believe there is a problem with the irs doing the direct deposit. I know its a lot ot handle for them, when so many people need this money to paid bills as I see on here. We are on a very tight buget!

16. AMY says:

TODAY IS THE 4TH OF MAY. MY SOCIAL ENDS IN 03, AND I FILED DIRECT DEPOSIT IN FEB. I HAVE NOT RECEIVED MY REBATE CHECK. DO YOU KNOW WHY???

17. Bobbie says:

My husband and I filed our taxes with H and R Block and the refund was deposited onto a H and R Block emerald master card.....Does that mean it is like a direct depost ?..will the Eco check be put on that card to ?...or paper check ?..and if it wont be put on that mastercard...can i go open a checking now and have it direct deposited ?? or do i have to wait for a paper check ?

18. Shawn says:

I changed banks shortly two months after receiving my IRS refund direct deposited. What will happen now that I have a different bank and filed electronically with direct deposit? Will they try to deposit it into my old checking account...my number ends in 14, so it would have attempted to deposit by now.

19. Dianna says:

It is May 5th and my ss ends in 08 I am eligible for the stimulus check and I filed my taxes with jackson and hewitt in the end of January....I had direct deposit, but they deducted the fee from my tax money....I have not recieved anything yet...I'm not in a terrible rush and I know I'm not the only one with this problem, I was just wondering if for some reason I might not be getting a check...I don't owe student loans or child support....any help? Thanks!

20. Stacey says:

Ok I was very patient over the weekend. I have been expecting my refund since May 2nd direct deposit. Here it is May 5th...no money. Can anyone confirm that they have received their stimulus payment? I mean someone who also was scheduled to receive it on May 2nd, that actually got it. I just want to know if I should still be waiting or if I am just not getting it.
    Thank You!