The Economic Stimulus Payment Schedule As Announced By The IRS

Published 3/18/08 (Modified 3/8/11)

After much online speculation and rampant rumors about the economic stimulus payment date, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has finally cleared up the confusion and released the official economic stimulus tax rebate payment schedule. You can read the IRS timetable announcement on its website (view IRS news release).

The IRS has announced that it will begin sending more than 130 million economic stimulus tax rebate payments starting May 2, 2008. Those who chose to receive their 2007 tax refund payments via direct deposit will get priority in receiving their stimulus tax rebates. Those who chose to receive their tax refund payments via regular postal service will receive their tax rebate checks in mid May, after the initial wave of tax rebate payments have been sent to those who chose the quicker direct deposit option.

Tax Rebate Receiving Order Will be Based On Social Security Number

The order that the tax rebate checks will be sent out will be according to the last 2 digits of the Social Security Number (SSN) used when you filed your federal tax return. Please examine the stimulus payment chart below to determine when you will be receiving your tax rebate. As the IRS noted on its announcement, because the order will be based on the numerical order of Social Security Numbers rather than by name or household, there is a high possibility that neighbors, family members, and friends may not receive their tax rebate checks at the same time.

The Official Economic Stimulus Tax Rebate Payment Schedule - (for Federal Tax Returns Received and Processed by April 15, 2008):

Direct Deposit Option:
If the last two digits of your Social Security Number are: Your economic stimulus payment deposit should be sent to your bank account by:
00 - 20 May 2
21 - 75 May 9
76 - 99 May 16
Paper Check Option:
If the last two digits of your Social Security Number are: Your check should be in the mail by:
00 - 09 May 16
10 - 18 May 23
19 - 25 May 30
26 - 38 June 6
39 - 51 June 13
52 - 63 June 20
64 - 75 June 27
76 - 87 July 4
88 - 99 July 11

How To Make Sure You Get Your Tax Rebate Check

If you want to get your tax rebate check sooner, you should make sure to elect the direct deposit option if you haven't already done so. Secondly, you should make sure you file your 2007 federal tax return by the April 15, 2008 deadline. If for whatever reason your tax return is filed after April 15, you should receive your economic stimulus payment about two weeks after receiving your tax refund. For those requesting filing extensions, if you want to receive your tax rebate by the end of this year, you must file your tax return by October 15, 2008. To accommodate people whose tax returns are processed after April 15, the IRS has indicated that it will continue sending weekly payments even after the end of the above schedule.

As I indicated in my 2008 Tax Stimulus Rebate commentary article, if you are already in bankruptcy or have tax liens for delinquent or outstanding debts such as - unpaid student loans, child support, or tax obligations, all or part of your economic stimulus payment may be withheld or intercepted. The IRS has indicated that it will send a letter to the taxpayer explaining the tax rebate offset, if any.

How Much Will My Economic Stimulus Payment Check Be?

Explanations and detailed answers to your tax rebate questions can be obtained by viewing the official IRS publications and announcements on the matter. Here are some links to official IRS answers to tax rebate questions, where most of the commonly asked questions are addressed. The more complicated and issue-filled tax rebate questions relating to Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy filings have been winding up as comments on my tax rebate article. I will continue answering them to the best of my ability based on my legal experience and knowledge on the matter. However, while my comments may be construed as general background information, they should not be blindly followed as definitive legal advice. Remember to always perform your own due diligence and research.

186 Responses to “The Economic Stimulus Payment Schedule As Announced By The IRS”

1. Eric says:

My wife and I filed jointly. I have have no student loans but my wife has some but is currently still going to school. How do these student loans effect our rebate check? Will we get the full 1200.00, 600.00 just for my portion, some middle ground, or nothing at all? Do student loans just effect it if you are currently paying them back? Thank you

2. Lori says:

Ok, I checked the "Where's my stimulus payment" on the IRS website. But it's states that we don't have a qualifying child. So, the payment is less. Our child is age 12 and not claimed by anyone else. Our income is less than $20,000 and don't owe anything. So, is this correct on our child not qualifying??? Ours is supposed to be mailed on the 16th of May.

3. Beth says:

Lori your child shoud qualify...we got our stimulus rebate on May 2...we were supposed to get $2,100 from what the calculator told us, and the letter they sent us, as we are married and filed jointly and have 3 qualifying children, but we only got $1,500 and I contacted the IRS on this issue and they said somthing about our refund was deducted due to our amount of income from 2007 taxes...totally confus3ed me, but trying to fight them isnt worth it! But your child should qualify, without a doubt. I would call the IRS if i were you.

4. Robin says:

I filed Head of household.. last digits 11 with HR block.. had driect deposit. May 2nd has come and gone .... I am single but filed head of household.. I have been told they will be taken care of last.. is this true or did they just decide to mail it..I did file in Feb and I do qualify. Please help?? Thank you

5. Zonia says:

Question, In June a payment plan for taxes I owe in 2006 will begin. I was notified this April so I got on it immediately. Like I said I will begin a payment plan now does that mean they won't send me the stimulus payment? Will they just take the money from the refund?

6. Kirk says:

Hey, i hope someone can help me. Ive received my return direct deposit and now iam waiting for the rebate check to come in to the same bank no later then the 16th.

well i used Turbotax to do my taxes of two W2's, i owe no money to the IRS but i never got anything on the site or in the mail saying i will receive this rebate. i made $7771.00 last year '' will i automatically receive this rebate of 300.00 or even 600.00 before the 16th??? thank you

7. daniel says:

To find out when you'll receive your stimulus payment just click on the following link and follow the instructions or call 1-866-234-2942.

8. Jamie says:

i was just wondering if i would be receiving my refund on the emerald mastercard? everyone is saying that i will but i was supposed to recieve it may 9 and then they said they were doing it four days early which would be the fifth..then my sister said she called h&r and they said that they werent putting your refund on the cards?? yet my boyfriends brother is a tax preparer and he said thats where it would be going on the card? can you help me out please?

9. Terri Jordan says:

I filed my takes before april 15th this year for 2007. I made just over 3000, and I clicked on direct deposit, does that mean I get a rebate check? I also filed married but sep. How much would I get? My husband is self employed but he owes 2 years of taxes. Will that affect me even if we didnt file together?

10. Shaggy says:

Okay, I've heard that the checks will be mailed on(or by ), May 16th, and then other sites say May 9th ( Paper checks, people ). What I think is so STUPID, is the fact that ....

1. I had an RAL through H&R Block, and had the federal taxes on an "Emereld Card", when the money got their, my wife and I paid $20.00 to have the 3 Grand put into the bank.

2. Our state taxes ( $1200.00 ), went straight into the bank account, so, one would think that the IRS has the "Bank account Info"(I.e. Routing number for the bank account).

3. The IRS claims that this "Stimulus Package" doesn't involve any taxes....

Well...... THE IRS.......Keep squishing them together "THEIRS".

11. Tammie says:

Do you know how or if the IRS will keep the ES for past due child support and when these checks will be sent??

12. Nicole says:

If you filed and the fee was taken out of your refund you will get a paper check even if it was Direct deposited. We did ours with Turbo Tax and thought we were getting it tomorrow, were not. I called IRS and asked them to input SS and give me info. They said Turbo Tax reported to Gov't that our Taxes were a RAL which was not true and I saw on another site the VP of Turbo Tax said they did not have RAL's Go figure. I think it's all a lie. If everyone that is eligible to get one gets it it will be a miracle. I believe that as more time pass there will be more excuses.

13. Beth says:

Tammie,
    The IRS does keep your stimulus payment for back due child support. My husband and I filed injured spouse with our tax rebate, and we got our stimulus check may 2nd and his half plus half for the kids was taken for back due support. If you didnt file an injured spouse, they may take the whole check!

14. Marcelo says:

I have a question. I am a legal immigrant and have a SSN, but my wife and children only have Tax numbers (ITIN) and they are included in the Tax return I already filed. Can I somehow receive the Stimulus Payment since I have a way to prove I am in the US legally?

I would appreciate any prompt reply.

Thanks,

Marcelo

15. Marcelo says:

By the way, my wife an children are also in the US legally.

Marcelo

16. Nicole says:

okay ............... my last two are 01 and i received my refund through direct deposit. It is May 9, 2008 and I have nothing in my account. And I owe nothing to no one.

17. Tiffany says:

My husband and I filed our taxes in Feb. We recieved our check by direct deposit, also in Feb. Based on the "timely" list, we should have recieved our check today. However, we have not recieved the stimulus check. We have not recieved anything from the IRS either, and we did not owe. Is there a number I can call to find out why we have not recieved it? I can't understand why we haven't?

18. Sara says:

I also filed my taxes early in March online. I received my tax return electronically. I have not yet received my stimulus check and should have had it last week. My friends and family all say they have received their stimulus checks on time. Are there many others like myself and the comment above who have had the same issue?

19. Wanda says:

My husband and I rec'd a letter from the IRS around Feb 2008 stating will begin sending the one-time payments to us starting May. We filed joint under his 2-digit ssn# which we shall have rec'd on May 2, but we didn't rec'd any and we did do direct deposit. nothing show as of May 9, 2008 at 6:18pm. It sound if there are so many people in this same situations. I don't know what to think about this, and I know no one that have rec'd this Economic Stimulus Payment. If no one is recieving this Stimulus Payment. What does this say about our President and gov't people???????

20. Wanda says:

My husband and I rec'd a notice around Feb 2008 from the IRS stating we will rec'd our stimulus rebate check in early May 2008. to this date we have not rec'd anything our number fall between 00-20.