The Economic Stimulus Payment Schedule As Announced By The IRS

Published 3/18/08 (Modified 3/8/11)

After much online speculation and rampant rumors about the economic stimulus payment date, the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) has finally cleared up the confusion and released the official economic stimulus tax rebate payment schedule. You can read the IRS timetable announcement on its website (view IRS news release).

The IRS has announced that it will begin sending more than 130 million economic stimulus tax rebate payments starting May 2, 2008. Those who chose to receive their 2007 tax refund payments via direct deposit will get priority in receiving their stimulus tax rebates. Those who chose to receive their tax refund payments via regular postal service will receive their tax rebate checks in mid May, after the initial wave of tax rebate payments have been sent to those who chose the quicker direct deposit option.

Tax Rebate Receiving Order Will be Based On Social Security Number

The order that the tax rebate checks will be sent out will be according to the last 2 digits of the Social Security Number (SSN) used when you filed your federal tax return. Please examine the stimulus payment chart below to determine when you will be receiving your tax rebate. As the IRS noted on its announcement, because the order will be based on the numerical order of Social Security Numbers rather than by name or household, there is a high possibility that neighbors, family members, and friends may not receive their tax rebate checks at the same time.

The Official Economic Stimulus Tax Rebate Payment Schedule - (for Federal Tax Returns Received and Processed by April 15, 2008):

Direct Deposit Option:
If the last two digits of your Social Security Number are: Your economic stimulus payment deposit should be sent to your bank account by:
00 - 20 May 2
21 - 75 May 9
76 - 99 May 16
Paper Check Option:
If the last two digits of your Social Security Number are: Your check should be in the mail by:
00 - 09 May 16
10 - 18 May 23
19 - 25 May 30
26 - 38 June 6
39 - 51 June 13
52 - 63 June 20
64 - 75 June 27
76 - 87 July 4
88 - 99 July 11

How To Make Sure You Get Your Tax Rebate Check

If you want to get your tax rebate check sooner, you should make sure to elect the direct deposit option if you haven't already done so. Secondly, you should make sure you file your 2007 federal tax return by the April 15, 2008 deadline. If for whatever reason your tax return is filed after April 15, you should receive your economic stimulus payment about two weeks after receiving your tax refund. For those requesting filing extensions, if you want to receive your tax rebate by the end of this year, you must file your tax return by October 15, 2008. To accommodate people whose tax returns are processed after April 15, the IRS has indicated that it will continue sending weekly payments even after the end of the above schedule.

As I indicated in my 2008 Tax Stimulus Rebate commentary article, if you are already in bankruptcy or have tax liens for delinquent or outstanding debts such as - unpaid student loans, child support, or tax obligations, all or part of your economic stimulus payment may be withheld or intercepted. The IRS has indicated that it will send a letter to the taxpayer explaining the tax rebate offset, if any.

How Much Will My Economic Stimulus Payment Check Be?

Explanations and detailed answers to your tax rebate questions can be obtained by viewing the official IRS publications and announcements on the matter. Here are some links to official IRS answers to tax rebate questions, where most of the commonly asked questions are addressed. The more complicated and issue-filled tax rebate questions relating to Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 bankruptcy filings have been winding up as comments on my tax rebate article. I will continue answering them to the best of my ability based on my legal experience and knowledge on the matter. However, while my comments may be construed as general background information, they should not be blindly followed as definitive legal advice. Remember to always perform your own due diligence and research.

186 Responses to “The Economic Stimulus Payment Schedule As Announced By The IRS”

1. Lynn says:

Found out that since we had to pay federal taxes this year and got a refund on state...we will be getting a check in the mail around June 19th. If you had to pay Im going to assume you will also get a check in the mail.
    At least I know now Im getting something. I assumed I would get direct dep. around May 9th and when I didnt...I got worried. Now I know.

2. Rachel says:

I filed with HR Block and paid for my taxes from my refund and had them direct deposited. I've been told that if you paid for your taxes out of your rebate check.. this will affect getting direct deposit somehow... and they will instead mail out a snail mail check... is there any truth to this?

3. Cliff says:

I received a letter stating I would receive my check before May 16, 2008. So far no check. Do you know why this could be happening? Thanks

4. GAIL says:

I filed with jackson hewett. rapid and got my check back in a week.Would it be consider under like direct deposit . I paid for a rapid refund.

5. ashley says:

I just sent the IRS a change of address form yesterday and my check is to be mailed out on june 13 will I get my check at the new address or old one?

6. Susan Worrall says:

We have moved since we filed our taxes, but was told at the Post Office that our check would be forwarded. With my husbands s/s # we should have been one of the first to have received our check. So far, we have NOT received it yet! WHY???

7. barb says:

I recieved a letter from irs stating when i would get my stimulus check and how much..but I am on a payment plan with them because i owe for a couple of years back..why would they send me that letter? and do i or should i recieve a stimulus check?

8. Todd says:

If i got 5,800 in unemployment and 1,800 at my job will i get a check?

9. Evelyn says:

Hello I'm just wandering when the first batch of checks and direct deposit went out was a week earlier than planned so does that move everything up as plan also thanks.

10. Len says:

I had an issue on the 2005 taxes. I am on a payment plan. Will I receive any thing or wl it go to the remainder of the balance. I would break even I guess. Thank you

11. Scott says:

We owe $2000 in back taxes so i assumed we would not get a stimulus check, but we recieved a letter stating we are getting a $1500 and should recieve it in a few days? Is the letter a mistake or are we really getting a check? thanks

12. Rochelle says:

I filed my taxes in February with my tax preparer and it was deposited electronically into my account in March. The schedule tells me I should have received my stimulus check should have been depositied into my account on May 9th, it is now June 1st and I still have not receive it. My last two digits of my social is 75.

13. mike says:

its it to late to file tax 2007 to get the rebate

14. Michael W. Daily says:

In March we filed electronically and sent in a cashier check on the payment amount due for our federal tax (it has cleared our bank on April 1) and have not received our stimulus check yet even though the social security number is in the category that should have been mailed by May 16. It is June 2 and we haven't heard anything. Is there a problem?

15. Cindy Boisjolie says:

My mother is 82 and on Social Security. She had someone e file her info so she would get the stimulus money. She has not yet received it. Should she be worried? Last 2 digits are 29. Thanks for your help.

16. Amy Carrier says:

I e-filed my federal returns and received my rebate months ago. I received my state rebate via paper mail after it was adjusted by the state revenue department for an error. I have yet to see a stimulus check and the last numbers of my SS# are 48. Is there any reason I havent received anything yet? I have no outstanding debts and had no problems filing my returns. Thank you.

17. keith says:

I filed my taxes threw H&R Block.I had them take the money that i owed them for doing my taxes out of my tax return and the rest derect deposited into to my checking acount does this mean I will have to wait for a paper check in the mail for my stimulus check and if so when should i expect to see it.I have not seen anything yet and the only problem I had when i filed my taxes was I had to pay 1 dollar to state other then that no problems. Thank you

18. Richard F Mitchell says:

Our taxes were mailed on the 13th of April and receipt for the filing was signed and returned on 16 April. My SS# ends in 03 and the rebate which was calculated at 1200 dollars by our accountant has not arrived. Is the backlog so large that the checks are being delayed or did I miss something in the dates the paper checks should be received. Table above says checks should be mailed by 16 May and it is now June 5th.

19. Vincent R. Custodio says:

The last two SS numbers are 80. Filed income taxes through my accountant in March electronicaiiy. Waitihg for response. (June 17)

20. Vincent R. Custodio says:

Thank you for your prompt response. I'll check the direct deposit with my bank later today.