Federal Tax Brackets 2010

Published 10/7/09 (Modified 6/17/11)

Federal Tax Brackets 2010

Death and taxes. You can try to fight them both tooth and nail, but at the end of it all, it's a losing proposition. Especially when it comes to taxes, the government is going to want its fair share cut of your salary and business profits one way or another, whether you like it or not. Rather than engage in tax evasion and possibly live the remaining years of your life on the run as a tax fugitive from the long arm of the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), you might as well confront the issue of taxes head on. All we can do is try our best to understand how income taxes work and take reasonable steps to minimize their effects on our financial lives as much as possible.

One of the most introductory ways to plan for the effects of income taxes is to recognize how the various marginal rates are applied to the corresponding tax brackets. Because the United States does not yet currently engage in a flat tax system, our taxable incomes are broken down into different taxation ranges with specific taxation percentages assessed depending on where they fall along the tax bracket spectrum. Although our 2010 tax returns won't be filed until April 15, 2011, for planning purposes, it's always good to find out the new changes to the tax code as early as possible. Let's examine some of the upcoming tax rate changes that are being projected for 2010 and compare them to the previous year's 2009 tax brackets.

Projections Of New IRS Tax Rates Have Historically Been Extremely Accurate

Year after year, even before the official IRS income tax brackets are released, a select number of tax experts have gotten together and crunched a determinative number of officially released statistics by governmental agencies - to project and extrapolate the upcoming year's tax brackets. Year after year, the tax rate predictions released by these groups have yielded results in advance with near 100% accuracy. Such an income tax bracket projection ahead of time is possible because many of the major tax code numbers are pegged to officially released inflation statistics - including the standard deduction, the personal exemption, the actual income ranges of the tax brackets, and contributions limits for the investment retirement accounts (both the Traditional and Roth IRA account).

One of these tax prognosticating groups is the Tax Foundation, a Washington D.C. think tank which collects data and publishes research studies on federal and state tax policies. The other notable group operates under the auspices of the Wall Street Journal and is comprised of a merry band of private tax professionals and economists - namely William E. Massey, a senior tax analyst from the Tax and Accounting arm of Thomson Reuters; George Jones, a senior federal tax analyst from CCH; and James C. Young, an accounting professor from Northern Illinois University. For numerous years now, both the Tax Foundation and the Wall Street Journal group have consistently released to the public very accurate, albeit unofficial, early bird peaks at the following year's projected income tax brackets based on available financial data - well in advance of the official IRS releases. If you're eager to get a head start on tax year 2010, read on.

IRS Tax Rate Schedule Updates For Tax Year 2010

This year, citing a very sluggish economy and extraordinarily low inflation rates for 2009 to which upcoming 2010 tax rates shall be pegged to, the Tax Foundation and associated experts are predicting very little year to year change for the 2010 federal tax brackets. If there's anything good that came out of this global economic recession that has been plaguing us for the entirety of 2009 - it's that the combination of low gas prices, depressed consumer spending, and high jobless numbers with so many people filing for unemployment - have enabled inflation rates to stay quite low during the span of 2009 - at a mere 0.19%. Just compare that to the incredibly high inflation rate of 4.26% during the previous year of 2008 when gas prices were skyrocketing, and it's clear the recent sudden and precipitous drop in inflation has been extremely unprecedented.

As a result of low inflation, for the most part the 2010 tax bracket ranges will likely stay relatively unchanged. As noted by the tax pundits, for the very first time since the IRS started to index the official federal income tax rates to inflation during the mid 1980's, taxpayers will get virtually no significant benefit from inflation in 2010. As such - year 2010 tax brackets, standard deductions, personal exemptions, and even retirement account contribution limits will see very little (if any) alterations from prior year numbers.

I will update the table below to reflect the official IRS tax rates for 2010 if decidedly different numbers are ultimately released by the IRS. However, with tax bracket projections by the experts having enjoyed a near perfect accuracy rate for quite a few years now, I don't have any reason to doubt that the displayed figures below will ultimately wind up as official.

Federal Income Tax Brackets For 2010 - Based On Taxable Income Ranges

Tax Rate
Married Couples Filing Jointly
Most Single Filers
10% Not over $16,750 Not over $8,375
15% $16,750 – $68,000 $8,375 – $34,000
25% $68,000 – $137,300 $34,000 – $82,400
28% $137,300 – $209,250 $82,400 – $171,850
33% $209,250 – $373,650 $171,850 – $373,650
35% Over $373,650 Over $373,650

Beyond some slight numerical shuffling of the taxable income ranges, there will not be too many significant tax changes from 2009 into 2010. Here is a breakdown of the projected changes (if any) for 2010 as they compare to the prior year:

• Personal Exemption: No change. For the very first time, the standard exemption for 2010 will not be going up and will stay unchanged at $3,650, the same as it was in 2009.
  • Standard Deduction: No change, except for Head Of Household filers. The standard deduction for married couples filing jointly will remain unchanged at $11,400. For those filing as single, the standard deduction will remain at $5,700 as well. However, Head of Household filers will see a slight increase by $50 - from $8,350 (year 2009) to $8,400 (year 2010).
  • Overall Tax Bracket Thresholds: Will increase across the board for all tax filing statuses, albeit at a significantly lower amount compared to past tax year increases.
  • Annual Gift Tax Exclusion Amount: No change. For tax year 2010, the current gift tax exclusion limit of $13,000 will stay the same. Often overlooked by most taxpayers, the gift tax stipulates that gift givers must pay a special tax on gift amounts that exceed a certain amount per year.
  • Traditional and Roth IRA Contribution Limits: No change. Despite the fact that IRA and Roth IRA contribution limits did not rise in 2009 in response to strong inflationary pressures in 2009, there will still be no corresponding change in the maximum contribution limits to individual retirement accounts for 2010. The standard IRA contribution limit for 2010 will remain unchanged at $5,000. The catch up contribution limit for those 50 or older will remain at $6,000 as well.

436 Responses to “Federal Tax Brackets 2010 | Income Tax Brackets 2010 | Money Blue Book”

1. KenC says:

Jess...did you ever consider the possibility that he did make it without help? Are you so used to help that you can believe people can make it on their own?

Of course life is a bitch, and some people fight through it to success and others whine about their misfortune and demand others take care of them. Most people, yes MOST people in this country don't know what hard living and poverty are...try spending a couple of years in a jungle with nothing more than a poncho liner for your home, no clean water, no bathrooms, no showers, no TV, no A/C, no shelter, etc. plus being hunted...now that's hard times. Most of the parasites think that hard times and poverty is running out of food stamps for cigarettes and booze before the end of the month!

2. Carol says:

Gwen, you're one of those people who feels entitled to things in life, aren't you? We all make choices and sometimes those choices have an impact on your bottom line as well as the quality of your life. I've been on both sides of the fence, making under $30K for many, many years, and then making $150K+ for the last decade.

When I made the lower salary I could leave my job and forget about it for the evening. I had every weekend free to do as I pleased and didn't have to arrange my life around work-related travel. Now I work double the hours that I used to, am away from home almost 50% of the time, and have to remain constantly available should a work "emergency" arise.

I'm not complaining. I'm simply illustrating that individuals have choices and those choices tend to come with a variety of pros and cons. It's a balancing act and if you don't like your side of the seesaw you should take the required actions to change it. I, and people like me, should be able to reap the fiscal benefits that help balance some of the reduced quality of life we experience.

Gwen, did you know that 47% of Americans don't pay ANY taxes? Are you aware that US Federal employees have owed and unpaid Federal taxes exceeding 1 BILLION DOLLARS? Further, the 95th percentile income earners already contribute over 58% of the taxes collected in the US. The 75th percentile income earners contribute over 80% of the taxes collected in the US. How much do you have to make a year to be in those percentiles? Surprisingly, not as much as you might think. If you make about 80K a year as an individual or household, you are in the 75th percentile of income earners. Kind of puts it all in perspective doesn't it?

I'll vote however I need to in order to ensure the inequity doesn't increase in your favor. It's time you and people like you learn to take responsibility for your own lives and your own decisions. You don't think you make enough? Get rid of your (likely) 2 cell phones, 3 televisions, cable and high speed Internet services, etc. Stop living beyond your means and having income eaten up by outrageous credit card interest rates. Maybe this doesn't apply to you and it certainly doesn't apply to everyone in the lower income earner percentiles, but it applies to WAY too many of them. There's a definite problem when the vast majority of people living below the "poverty" level have lifestyles that include the following:

Fortysix percent of all poor households actually own their own homes. The average home owned by persons classified as poor by the Census Bureau is a threebedroom house with oneandahalf baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.

Seventysix percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, 30 years ago, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.

Only 6 percent of poor households are overcrowded. More than twothirds have more than two rooms per person.

The average poor American has more living space than the average individual living in Paris, London, Vienna, Athens, and other cities throughout Europe. (These comparisons are to the average citizens in foreign countries, not to those classified as poor.)

Nearly threequarters of poor households own a car; 30 percent own two or more cars.

Ninetyseven percent of poor households have a color television; over half own two or more color televisions.

Seventyeight percent have a VCR or DVD player; 62 percent have cable or satellite TV reception.

Seventythree percent own microwave ovens, more than half have a stereo, and a third have an automatic dishwasher.

3. PC says:

Carol, you are exactly right.
    What drives our economy to be the highest producing economy in the world is the principle of symmetry. You get what you work for. It's the fairest way. If you want to make more money, do the thing that makes you more money. It's each person's choice. The money doesn't mean that it is the hardest or the most qualified or even the most luxurious job in the market, it only means that it is the job that the economy has chosen to pay the best. This is why capitalism works and why the USA is still #1 in GDP and income per capita, is because the market awards the people that bring the most monetary value to our country. Changing this would have dire consequences on our position in the world.

4. Ben says:

The problem with an income tax that uses a graduated scale is that the principle is not fair. That's why we need to support the fair tax which will eliminate the income tax altogether as well as coporate income taxes which will bring companies and jobs flocking to the US as a tax safe haven. the fair tax is the only true way to be fair about taxes those that consume more pay more and those that consume more lavishly pay more as well since the tax is based on end consumption of goods. if you save then you avoid paying taxes altogether so lets recap what the fair tax does.

1) eliminates income tax (yay!)
    2) eliminates coporate income tax
    a) companies flock to america as a tax safe haven bringing with them many jobs and higher demand for labor
    3) taxes people based on how much they consume and how lavishly they consume
    4) encourages saving

I don't see a down side do you?

5. taxed and tired says:

120k in student loans Says:

"I've busted ass for four years in college financing it myself and just got my first job (after busting ass to find that too). I started calculating how fast I can pay off my 120k student loan making 50k a year and I figured for years while in college that it would only take a few. WRONG, 38% of my paycheck is now going to taxes.

��time to get married I guess and play the system since the government is so damn involved in every facet of my life. Look in someone elses pockets Mr Obama! (try the 40% of Americans who pay squat in income tax!)"

.....someone making 50K a year is taxed 15% (in 2010) under the current administration. The previous administration (in 2007) taxed 50K a whopping 25%. Not sure where the 38% comes from, nor blaming the current administration. But in any event, the rate for the 50K tax bracket went down.

6. Kelly says:

As a physician not far out of residency I find myself often lamenting my choice of career. Myself and my colleagues have trudged through 15 years of education, residency training, and fellowship to provide care at an elite level. Healthcare in this country is the best in the world, but it won't be for long.

I personally love my job, but I will not sacrifice the time with my family in order to pay more taxes or provide care for the unappreciative. Access to care and elective procedures (your joint replacements, spinal fusions etc...) will soon decrease. It is impossible to increase access to care and decrease costs concurrently. Something has to give and the socialists and communists in Washington knows this. Do the socialists and communists posting here realize this, I severely doubt it.

Socialists dream of a panacea where everyone is equal, no individual has anything more than the collective. "To each according to their need, from each according to their ability." People are however not inherently equal, and they are not content to be forced to be so. The large majority of the American people will not be content to be so either, regardless of income.

The very freedom of speech socialists enjoy today was given to them by the "evils" of wealth, capitalism, and industry. Were it not for the capitalists and industrial might of this nation that existed during the second World War you might be speaking German or Japanese.

Americans believe in hard work and being rewarded for their efforts. Americans believe in freedom from government oppression, be it economic or physical. The American dream is nearly dead but the candle flickers yet. This fight is larger than marginal tax rates. It is about socialism/communism vs. capitalism, it is about big government vs. responsible government, and it is about furthering a welfare state vs. fostering personal responsibility.

Keep your heads up and vote for your country in November, she needs us.

'The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.' ~ Thomas Jefferson

7. La says:

Us constitution provides for the postal roads and navy...so you have it the only threee entities are legal. Military, Tranpotation, Post Office. his is the real GOV. Graduated taxes are fair but im not sure the IRS is but taxes are voluntary I pay and I pay we get something for it err we used too..now the party is over pay up and pay down the debt to a level we can finance for the future say no more than 35% GDP to pay for the debt is balenced...

8. Katy Peterson says:

I put myself thru college on a work study program and 3 part time jobs. I lived in a slum apt. and my cat killed the rats. I got my BSN from OSU. I worked 6 years saved up my money from my nursing job to go back to school to get my MSN in anesthesia. I was on a work study program again and worked on the weekends in the ICU while in graduate school. I graduated from University of Pittsbugh and now have been a CRNA for the last 18 years. I had no student loans. I now earn a very good living. I am not a minority and I am not a scholarship winner. I just worked hard and never took no for an answer. And the work was up to me.... no one else. I love giving anesthesia.... I love my job.... I love my career and I love the money I make..... and I don't want to give it away to others who whine they can't make it.... I just don't believe it... EDUCATION = Better lifestyle..... get it???

9. AS says:

Can someone explain why the tax bracket jumps up a whole 10% at 67-68K? That seems insane. I just got to the point where it looks like my family will make about 69K this year, and I am actually going to get less than I was after all this hard work and schooling? With a family of five I am not rich by any stretch of the imagination. Seriously? How is one supposed to get ahead? Maybe I should ask my boss for a pay cut.

10. KenC says:

It only jumps up to 25% for that portion over $68 k. Example:
    1) on your earnings up to $16750, you pay (@10%) = $16750 Tax
    2) on your earnings over $16750 to $68,000, you pay (@15% on $51,250)) = $7687.50
    3) on your earnings over $68,000 t0 your estimated $69,000, you pay (@25% on $1,000) = $250.

In actuality, even if you use standard deductions and do not itemize, your net taxable income will be far below the $6,000 gross you will earn.

11. Disappointed says:

Wow, I'm sorry to say this, but what a bunch of miserable shmucks ... I especially love the people who think that all poor people made themselves that way and that all of the rich are undeserving. Way to generalize everyone - bravo. And please don't attack those of us who chose to study laaaaaaame subjects like Sociology. Seriously - insulting college grads because you were ... what? Guided in exactly the right direction. Are YOU and engineer? Is your life complete? Ewww, I'd hate to be you. You obviously aren't as happy as you could be if you're going to continue your horrific ranting and complaining to no end on a silly tax bracket site that no one reads.

With my own rant aside, I'd like to point out that some people ARE disadvantaged but VERY smart - they worked hard and went to school, busted their bums to pay off loans, majored in whatever the heck made them happy and not what others thought was "best" ... and they are happy in life, rich or not. I'm eating my usual beans and rice for lunch with my coveted avocados (once you grow your own you understand the expense!) and later in the week will splurge on a nice meal out with friends. Living outside of our means and on credit in a system that praises wealth over hard work is what hurts us. Obviously once you're "rich" you stop caring about the lower levels, but if you're one of the self-made and respectable wealthy ones out there who worked hard to get where you are, I'm pretty certain you know what it's like to struggle. And I'm pretty sure that somewhere along the line either a person or company gave you a chance - a chance to prove your worth. Not every has that you guys. Realize this. And please spread a little joy in troubled times. It's hard enough in this world without everyone hating everyone else. I hope that some of you people, "rich" and "poor" are giving your leftovers to a homeless person - not because you know their story or because you think they deserve it but because they are hungry. Have you ever been truly hungry? Let's get some perspective. Sheesh.

12. Sunman42 says:

For those of you complaining that your salaries or hourly wages are taxed too much, and you want to be able to spend more of what you earn �� wake up! You would not be paid anywhere near as much if tax rates were drastically lower. About the only taxpayers who have a (theoretical) right to complain about marginal income tax rates are coupon clippers who make most of their income out of investments �� and if they're in the 35% marginal tax bracket, they have a heck of a lot of capital with which to see them through their lives. Even small business owners wouldn't see much benefit out of a flat tax, since most of their Schedule C deductions would go away.

13. Trying to get ahead says:

I can see both sides of the argument, but I work hard for my money. I think anyone making under 200,000/yr should be taxed 15% and anyone making 200,00-1,000,000 should be taxed 25%...anyone making above 1,000,000 should be taxed at max 30%...First of all, if you work hard for your money you should be rewarded. I just got offered a new job, and Im gonna be in the 25% tax bracket bc i make above 34,000/yr...However, the money I make is barely enough to pay back 70,000 of student loans, plus pay all of my bills..I think taxes should be lowered...but let me get to the point...

If we are paying so much taxes, then school and medical should be a right and not not an option..1st...Any child who wants to go to college should be able to for free and not have to worry about paying back sally or not being able to afford it. Ridiculous...

2nd...Medical should be free period...It makes no sense that we are paying out of our pockets for any medical care...Ridiculous...This makes no sense whatsoever...It should be a right...

Pay the doctors from those dang taxes u take from us Government...The worst part is I may end up having to pay you taxes around refund time when u already took so much from me...

This capitalist system is flawed...Im not from the U.S. but Ive lived here since I was 14...I don't have a problem with a socialist system if the gov't paid medical and school with all the taxes they take from us.

Bottom line is bc we pay so much in taxes, education and medical should be a right..

14. Trying to get ahead says:

In addition to my above statement, lazy people need to get your but up and go to work..Its not our problem..The opportunities are available for you..That's why my family migrated to the U.S. The opportunities are there, you just have to work for them. I am tired of seeing women with all these children and we have to pay to support them.. I am tired of people living off of hardworking adults like myself. This is ridiculous...take from the hardworking, and reward the lazy.

I do believe that there are people out there who really need the help for one reason or another..However most people take advantage of the system. The Gov't needs to crack down on these individuals. If you work hard, you should keep most of your money, bottom line...

I do believe taxes are necessary to fix rds, transportation, helping those who really need it, and keeping the country safe etc...But does it really have to be this much? Lower our taxes Gov't....

And once again, bc we pay taxes (whether low or high) education and medical should be absolutely free.....

15. Jon says:

Why do we call the top earners in society greedy, what about those who want to benefit from them with no effort of their own (other than voting)?
    Let me break it down. It seems the reason why the top income earners (aka the "rich") don't like the tax system as is and continues to progess, is because it continues to take from them (the rich) and give to the poor. It seems as if this is where the poor get the idea that the "rich" are greedy. The true irony is in the meaning of the word greedy which websters defines as: having or showing a selfish desire for wealth and possessions...and selfish is defined as: seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others. It would seem by the accepted definition of the words, that the poor asking the "rich" to pay more are the greedy ones as it would seem they are the ones seeking advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others.
    Another common mantra of the those in favor raising taxes on the rich is: "it's time the rich pay their fair share". The statement itself ironic in the fact that the "rich" are the only ones paying any share, while the poor benefit from those taxes through social programs the "rich" don't get to benefit from such as (WIC, welfare, medicare, etc). This form of redistribution of wealth is called Socialism and if we continue slipping on that slope, then the next step would be nationalisation which would remove incentives for innovation and stimy technological growth. On the other hand, we would all be "equal", though being equally poor doesn't sound all that great to me. (read Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand)
    While the subject of this article was not about political philosophy, the posts continued fall into that category. And for those of you who are wondering, I am currently active duty military and I am one of the "greedy poor" who continues to look for ways to benefit from the system as it is. Ironic, isn't it?

16. trying to get ahead says:

I agree with ken c..I am from Guyana. My Parents brought us here to have better opportunities. The funny part is my parents were making lots of money in Guyana, we came here and struggled to get a life...However, the opportunities are endless. I am tired of people complaining about not going to the top. Go to school, get an education...(granted I hate that we have to pay to go to school which I think should be free) and work for your money.

I know what real poverty is...Poor people in this country have section 8, and live in Gov't housing..sometimes nicer than people that work hard for their money. There are people in my country with no running water, no electricity, kids with no shoes, no help from the government, no houses, built shacks etc.. I know what poverty looks like believe me...So for all the poor people in America complaining, get it together...It really isn't that bad... If you work and stop being lazy (I am referring to the people that play the system, not the ones that really need the help) then you will succeed...opportunities are endless.. Keep pushing no matter how hard it is...I am a testimony that things can get better....

17. BRH says:

There seems to be quite a bit of misconception here about how the federal tax code works and what it taxes. Most of the postings above, to the extent they weigh in on the subject, assume that the rich are rich because they work harder than the poor. But the richest among us don't work at all. Instead, they sit back and receive dividends, interest, and capital gains on investments that might have been made by their great-grandfathers; in fact, they might not have worked a day in their lives. THAT is one reason why a graduated tax system is fair. The assumption that a person who earns $100,000/year works five times as hard as a person who makes $20,000/year is simply wrong.

And note that a graduated tax system like the one we have is smoothly graduated. The tax brackets refer to the amount of tax imposed on the LAST dollar a person makes in a year. So if the cutoff between the 28% bracket and the 33% bracket is, say, 170,000 (for someone who's single), and we're comparing two people, one of whom makes $170,000/year and the other of whom makes $170,001/year, all that means is that both taxpayers pay exactly the same amount of tax on the first $170,000, and the one who makes $170,001 has to pay 33 cents to the feds on that last dollar instead of just 28 cents. We all pay exactly the same amount of income tax on the first $5,000 we make in a year, for example.

Because of that, someone who, through hard work, education, or good old American know-how, earns more than the next guy, can afford to pay more to the government. A dollar means a lot more to a homeless person than it does to a millionaire, and having a flat-tax system, which would require the homeless guy to give up just as much of his first dollar as the millionaire gives up on his last, would be unfair.

There is something to be said for a consumption tax, but that is a separate issue from the income tax. We already have a consumption tax--the sales tax--and the only question is whether it should be higher.

As for corporations, don't forget that they aren't people. Corporations can't take vacations, go out to nice restaurants, etc. The argument for keeping their tax rates low is that the income potentially gets taxed twice: once when it's received by the corporation, and a second time when it gets passed out to the shareholders as dividends. If it's not passed out to the shareholders, that means that it's been reinvested in the corporation, which enables the corporation to hire more employees and helps our economy to grow.

The reason the Tax Code is about 5,000 pages long is that it is trying to be fair. I think it does a pretty good job. A short tax code almost by definition has loopholes, and plugging those loopholes makes the Code longer. We've got among the lowest taxes in the civilized world, and our standard of living is pretty good. If we want to pay less in taxes, we can't complain about things like potholes in the streets. If we want a higher standard of living, we need to be willing to pay more in taxes. Denmark and Holland are both pretty nice places to live, but even though their standard of living is a good deal higher than ours, their taxes are a lot higher. Things are also much simpler for their governments because their populations are much smaller and a helluva lot less diverse than ours.

I don't like paying my tax bill either, but its the price we pay for living under the greatest political system ever created by the mind of man. I'm not saying there's no room for improvement, but considering the size of this country and the difficulties presented, I think Congress has done a pretty damn good job in striking a reasonable balance.

18. Mister Fair says:

Ok , let play fair . The people in less tax bracket get less benefit from the government . The people in more tax bracket get more benefit the government . Any questions . And if you are not a US citizen or US legal resident . You get absolutely nothing in this government at all. HOW ABOUT THAT KIND OF TAX CODE TO BE PERMANENT !

19. KenC says:

BRH...typical BS... a fair tax code goes something like this:

Everybody pays 10% (or whatever constant) on the money they earn. There are no deductions. Corporations pay 10% on the money they earn and do not disburse as dividends to their shareowners. Shareowners pay 10% on all money received as earnings from their investment.

That takes one page...the reason the tax code is 5,000 pages long is to redistribute wealth and put the government in control of the money people earn. It makes no difference whether the money is earned through hard work or as the result of inheritance. Quite frankly, your thesis is BS. If this is the price we pay for living in the greatest country in the world (quickly being destroyed by socialists), then how in the hell did we get along so well for 150 years without an income tax? We taxed consumption...that's how! The problem with taxes is that they never end...hell the $1 +/- tax on phone bills to pay for the Spanish-American War was just repealed a decade ago....90 frickin' years!

Congress is worthless...it is nothing more than a bunch of professional politicians buying vote...on both sides of the house...good job, my ass! BTW, there doesn't need to be a "reasonable balance" there needs to be a flat tax that applies to everybody instead of using high income tax to buy votes!

20. BU says:

BRH, you listed many reasons why you believe our current tax system is fair but then you stated in your last paragraph "I don't like paying my tax bill either, but its the price we pay ..."

If our system is fair and you are getting a great deal for your tax payment, then I would expect you to be very happy with your purchase of government services.

Just like you, most people don't like paying taxes because we know there is a large amount of waste and unfairness in how our taxes our spent.