Searching For Answers To Frequently Asked Questions About Your Tax Rebate Check

Published 3/6/08 (Modified 3/14/11)

Updated - The IRS has released the official 2008 Economic Stimulus Payment Schedule.

Also, read about the prospects and chances of an Obama stimulus check for 2009.

Based on the substantial traffic and comments I've been receiving for the article I wrote explaining and breaking down the details of the 2008 Stimulus Rebate Package, it's clear that everyone in the United States is concerned about their rebate checks. Everybody wants to know how large their own tax rebate check will be and when they can expect to receive it.

There are many questions to be answered and I've been trying my best to respond to them all. While most questions have been straightforward, others have been slightly more complicated with issues relating to Chapter 7 and 13 bankruptcy filings, or issues relating to wage garnishment and student loan liens. But I will continue to do my best to answer your flurry of tax rebate comments and e-mails.

Visit The IRS Website For The Official Source Of Tax Rebate News and Updates

While I can't necessarily state that all answers that I provide are definitive, I do try my best to answer accurately based on research and reasonable information. One thing I have noticed is the vast amount of misinformation and speculation that is available on the internet. There seems to be much conjecture and rumors surrounding the tax rebate, particularly as it relates to timetable and the order that the checks will be sent out. I wish to remind readers that the only definitive source for tax rebate news and updates is the official IRS Economic Stimulus Payments Information Center (official website). There, they've done a pretty decent job of addressing the seemingly endless stream of tax rebate inquiries, even providing answers to popular tax rebate questions (Tax Rebate FAQ). The IRS tax rebate website provides stimulus check payment hypotheticals and answers questions pertaining to Social Security recipients and veterans living on disability. They post updates regularly and understandably so. Here's a quick link to some of the official tax rebate questions and answers for various filing scenarios:

1. Single without children
  2. Head of Household, with children
  3. Married, with children
  4. Married, without children
  5. Married Filing Separately, with or without children

Here's the official information release for recipients of alternative types of income:

1. Recipients of Social Security Retirement Income or Disability
  2. Recipients of VA Benefits, Disability, or Survivor Benefits

If you still have unanswered questions, please continue to post comment questions to my original Bush Tax Rebate article. I will try my best to diligently answer each one as best as I can. Keep in mind that while I do have a legal and financial background, you will be best served asking your own tax professional or hired attorney the more substantive tax and legal questions, particularly when it relates to more delicate legal issues surrounding bankruptcy and liens. My informal opinions should only be viewed and regarded as general background information rather than seen as authoritative financial advice.

141 Responses to “Searching For Answers To Frequently Asked Questions About Your Tax Rebate Check”

1. Lisa says:

If I owe IRS taxes that I have been making payments on for a couple years, I only owe at this time $242.00. My husband worked for someone whom did not take income tax out of his check, and we ended up oweing, which we have been paying and they have taken all our returns for the last couple years, we only owe the $242.00 at this time...will this keep us from getting a stimulas check..when I went to the calculator to see when we would receive...it gives the message " we are sorry, information is not availale at this time...etc. I guess my question is...If you owe any taxes, are you disqualifed from receiveing the stimulus check?
    Lisa

2. Kris says:

I forgot to send in my 8453-ol form. Will this effect my stimulus payment?

3. Rinaldo says:

Me and my wife filed taxes around february using direct deposit and around march we filed and ammendment for some schoos receipt we haven't got and we got a check in the mail. I guess what i'm trying to say is are we going to get are check by direct deposit or by mail. we are moving to another state also so i don't know what to do if we get it by check. Thanks.

4. Dwayne says:

according to the payment sechule my s.s. number i should have received my payment may 2 ...and i havent ....so i am confused to how i found out whats going on?

5. Marilyn A Talbert says:

My taxes were filed via efile, however, at that time I did not pay the Federal taxes as I waited for my State refund to come before I paid the Federal. My state was direct deposit and then I sent a check to Federal. Will I get direct deposit or paper with my stimulus check?
    Thanks

6. Lilia says:

I filed on February through Direct Deposit. My rebate check was supposed to be in my account today, May 9, 2008. There was nothing posted I'm not sure why. Could there be a delay or does this mean my check will be mailed to me?

7. Sypora says:

Hi, I file my federal taxes well before the cut off but failed to file my state taxes will this exclude me from receiveing the rebate?

8. Sypora says:

Hi, I only filed my federal taxex this year thru Turbo Tax... I neglected to file my state by the cutoff date. Does this mean that I will not recieve a stimulus check.

9. Raul Garza says:

My wife and I were separated for 10+ years. She filed bankruptcy last year and I was sucked into it by the IRS due to not being divorced. We filed amended returns as directed by the IRS Officer present at the bankruptcy hearing. We filed a joint return this year and recieved a tax refund. Will we get a stimulus check?

10. Michelle says:

Hey, I thought I knew what was going on but somehow we didn't get the refund on the 9th like I though we would. I am married we filed jointly,2 kids AGI 119,000. I don't work I am going to school. No loans or outstanding balances. M y husband somewhere that if we didn't pay a certain amount of taxes with me not working that we wouldn't qualify I don;t seem how that is possible considering we received $ back this year. Any ideas??? Thanky You

11. Bob says:

My wife and I filed electronically but had to send in an addendum by mail for additional refund. Everything was processed and received before April 15. According to skd we should have had rebate by May 9 but have not yet received it. Could the addendum have backed up the rebate or caused a mailing instead of a direct deposit? Any help greatly appreciated,

12. Lilia says:

I was supposed to receive my refund on May 9 via my bank account. I did not receive anything. I received a letter from the IRS today telling me that my refund should be in my account by Friday May 16. This is a heads up for anyone who was expecting their refund on the 9th. Maybe you'll be receiving it on the 16th.

13. Julia says:

Unhappy, that dependants are not receiving this rebate even though we have our own income and file our taxes for 2007. How come they didn't mention this?? I only understood that if you file your taxes you will get the rebate no matter what.

14. Yvette says:

I have already received my rebate but it seems they "forgot" that I had a dependent at the time of issuing the check. Is there some where on the IRS website I can go to dispute the amount I received? I couldn't seem to find anything on the site regarding this type of issue.

15. Kristofer says:

I was wondering if i am going to receive a check, im 19 years old i made about $4,500 last year. but my parents claim me as a dependent. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

16. joe johnson says:

i filed my taxes at the beginning of the year using turbotax and my rebate was direct deposited into my account. i was expecting my stimulus payment to be in my account on may 9th (according to the irs schedule and the last two digits of my ss#). why would i not receive one? i earned about 30k last year and have some credit card debt.

17. allison says:

Hi I was just wondering, my husband got his 2007 tax refund direct deposited and it took a long time because of something to do with a social security check he got when he was i think 18 and when we would call to see if the refund was there it would say unable to verify your security. He got it straightened out and they said it was all cleared up but now when we call to see if his stimulus rebate is there its saying the same thing and we cant figure out why. when we call the information numbers they give us the run around and when we go to the website it also says there is no information. Do you think they messed up and are holding it again for that reason because he doesnt have student loans and we have a child support action being taked against us but they dont have our information yet. Can you tell us how we can straighten this out or figure out why this is going on? Thanx

18. Charlene says:

I didn't have a child at the time of filing but have a three month old now, does that qualify as having a dependant child? And also, how can I figure out what I could be receiving and when if I don't have a w2 with me or know how much I made last year total?

19. Nancy says:

Why did you quit answering questions people are posting?

20. Martin says:

I owe child support in texas. Will I get a rebate check for me and my son?